lauantai 17. syyskuuta 2011

TEDxLasPalmas

TEDx LasPalmas was held on the 15th of September.
What an amazing event and I must say that is was a privilege to be a part of it!

Here is my travel story.

I left for the Canary islands on the 13th of September at 02:30 (yes in the middle of the night). I was so exited to go that I couldn't sleep on the plane. We arrived at Barcelona 3 hours later at approximately 05:30. Nothing else is open at 05:30 on Barcelona airport than McDonald's... After finishing my burger it's 05:55... I still had 5 hours before the connecting flight to LasPalmas.
At 6 am. everything else in the airport opened so I had the possibility to wonder pointlessly around the place. (And I have to say. There is something seriously wrong with the cleaning products they use on the toilets because it smelled like cotton candy gone bad in every one of them...).
After the other flight I had been on my way for 13 hours and was picked up from the airport by Said Muti and we also picked up TwitBoy aka. Iván Rodríguez.
I was taken to my hotel on the north side of the island and told that I had a day off.

Alone in LasPalmas after being awake for more than 36 hours and still not tired...
I didn't know what to do so I did everything I could. Went to the pool, tried the hotel restaurant, went to the city to buy shorts and sandals (because I left mine at home), enjoyed the weather, enjoyed the culture, saw a lot of beautiful women, went to the hotel bar, saw a fashion show, saw a voiceover musical show of Grease and finally got to bed.

14th of September. After breakfast (08:00) and being taken to the event location at around 11 am. (we got lost a few times on the way there but I took it as a tourist route around the island) I met lots of people who were apart of the organisation. I did not have a lot to do that day so I mainly just were sitting and looking at other people rehearsing their parts and building the place up. After not doing anything for 6 or 7 hours I took a roll of toilet paper and started folding it to make paper roses (thank you Avner Eisenberg). My origamis were put on display on the lobby of the conference room. At some point we all went to have lunch. It was interesting to realize that at some point I started understanding a little of the things that were discussed in Spanish.
After the lunch I rehearsed my part of the speaking and that was the end of the day there for us. We picked up many people on the way back to the hotel. The other speakers came to stay in the same hotel as me and we decided to go and get dinner together in the city.
Iván Rodríguez, María Infante, David Alayón and I wen't to get some Japanese food. We had a great time eating and talking both in Spanish and English (it gets a lot easier after a few beers).
Julien Fourgeaud flew from Las Vegas the same evening and joined us after we finished in the restaurant.
We got Julien some food and got back to the hotel with Said and Akram Muti. María went to bed but we guys stayed in the hotel bar for a few more beers, some good discussions and some magic.

The day of TEDxLasPalmas. After breakfast with the group I went up to my room to practice some more on my presentation. I rewrited some parts of it to make it better in my opinion. A few hours into my rehearsing Julien called me and sain we should go to the beach. It was at 13:00. The ride to the conference was leaving at 14:30... We still went.
I took a quick shower and we got going. 600 meters to the beach and the time was already 13:55. Julien insisted on going swimming and after a 7 minute stay on the beach we had to go back. 14:15 we got to the hotel and another shower later we were on our way to the event.

More information on the event is available on TEDxLasPalmas website and Twitter .
I can't remember much about my presentation but I hear it was good. The show -part went well and everybody liked it.

The presentations ended and it was time for the party. First there was an event called "Wine and Sex" so we had a wine tasting and were watching pretty girls in sexy dresses at the same time. Felipe Monje was the mastermind behind this idea (and also one of the speakers). We tasted white-, red- and portwine and some amazing cookings by Fabio Santana.

The party on the venue ended and most of the people got in taxis to go to the afterparty at Lasal Gin Club. David Horat took me Julien and David Alayón in his convertible and drove us to the party with style!
And what a great party it was. Great place, great music and above all great people.

I was woken up by Julien by telephone at 10:50. The ride to the airport was due to leave at 11:00 and I had not packed... I don't know how but I got everything with me and made the deadline.

It was a 9 hour trip back to Finland and now I'm finally home. Writing this with fresh memory of most of the things that happened made me want to go back as soon an possible...

Than you all who were a part of the event. I can't stress enough that the people involved were amazing! You guys are great!


Some pictures from my trip can be seen on my facebook page and on TEDxLasPalmas Twitter.


-Magician Sami Paavola

1 kommentti:

  1. Nice sami Thx for mencion en un your blog, I hope see you again in Gran Canaria island (Spain)

    VastaaPoista